A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid

As we continue through our Lord’s Farewell Discourse in today's selection from the Gospel according to Saint John (14:27-31a), He repeats to us words of comfort:

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

We need these words – we need this grace – for the times seem overfull with reasons for trouble and fear.

Many try to escape their fears and troubles in alcohol, drugs, or hedonism.

They are traps.

What Christ offers us is real and eternal.

Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give it to you.

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.