A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, May 14, 2009

How to remain in love

Some people, it is said, are in love with being in love.

But, so very often, love seems to fade or even die.

In today’s Gospel (John 15:9-17), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ gives us the answer for love that is truly everlasting:

  • Being loved by God
  • Being faithful to God’s commandments
  • Loving others accordingly


As the Father loves me,
so I also love you.

Remain in my love.

If you keep my commandments,
you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father's commandments
and remain in his love.

I have told you this
so that my joy might be in you
and your joy might be complete.

This is my commandment:
love one another as I love you.

No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one's life for one's friends.

You are my friends
if you do what I command you.

I no longer call you slaves,
because a slave does not know
what his master is doing.

I have called you friends,
because I have told you
everything I have heard from my Father.

It was not you who chose me,
but I who chose you
and appointed you
to go and bear fruit that will remain,
so that whatever you ask the Father in my name
he may give you.

This I command you:
love one another.