A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Pope addresses Katrina aftermath

(After today's Angelus, Pope Benedict addressed the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, first in Italian...)

"In these days we are all grief-stricken about the disaster caused by a hurricane in the United States, especially in New Orleans. I wish to give assurance of my prayers for the dead and their families, for the wounded and the homeless, for the sick, the children, the aged.

"I bless the many who are engaged in the difficult work of aid and reconstruction. I have instructed Archbishop Paul Josef Cordes, the President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum (ed. - the Pope's agency for humanitarian action after disasters, etc.), to bring to these stricken people testimony of my solidarity."

(...and later in English...)

"I greet all the English-speaking pilgrims at today’s Angelus. In a special way our hearts turn to all those suffering the devastating consequences of Hurricane Katrina in the United States. As the extent of this tragedy unfolds I ask you to join me in praying for the victims, their loved ones and all those affected. May the grieving families experience the consolation of God’s presence and rescue workers be assured of our deep concern and support."