A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

A resonating reminder

How today’s first reading seems to resonate so strongly in our lives today!

It reminds us of the great joy and deep peace we feel when we really take in the Word of God.

It reminds us of the vast differences we sometimes feel with the world around us, especially at those moments when decadent people seem to be having a “good time” while our spiritual life is enduring a “desert experience” (when we do not feel God’s grace flowing through us – as if the brook upon which we had relied was suddenly dried up and gone).

It reminds us of God’s promise: if we are faithful; if we continue to root out our imperfections, with the help of His grace; if we speak His truth; then, God will be with us. We will endure opposition and trouble, but in the end nothing can or will overcome us in the name and the power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

When I found your words, I ate them,
and they became to me a joy
and the delight of my heart;
because I bore your name,
O LORD, God of hosts.

I did not sit with the partyers,
nor did I rejoice;
I sat alone, because your hand was upon me,
because you had filled me with indignation.

Why is my pain unceasing,
my wound incurable,
refusing to be healed?
Will you be to me like a deceitful brook,
like waters that fail?

Therefore thus says the LORD:
"If you return, I will restore you,
and you shall stand before me.
If you utter what is precious
and not what is worthless,
you shall be as my mouth.
They shall turn to you,
but you shall not turn to them.

"And I will make you to this people
a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you,
but they shall not prevail over you,
for I am with you

to save you and deliver you,"
says the LORD.