A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, May 01, 2009

Communion

Sadly, many who speak loudest in favor of a simplistic, verse-by-by verse, literal interpretation of Scripture deny any sort of literal interpretation of today’s Gospel (John 6:52-59) because it offends the particular post-Renaissance reinvention of Christianity to which they subscribe.

For Churches that have continuity with the Church founded by Christ upon Peter and the Apostles, our Lord is most obviously speaking of the great gift of the Eucharist – Holy Communion.

Amen, amen, I say to you,
unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man
and drink his Blood,
you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
has eternal life,
and I will raise him on the last day.

For my Flesh is true food,
and my Blood is true drink.

Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
remains in me and I in him.

Just as the living Father sent me
and I have life because of the Father,
so also the one who feeds on me
will have life because of me.

This is the bread that came down from heaven.

Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died,
whoever eats this bread will live forever.

By the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, may you and I live worthily and partake reverently of the great and most precious Sacrament of His Body and Blood.