A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, September 05, 2008

Judging

In today’s first reading (1 Corinthians 4:1-5), Saint Paul warns against judging.

Only God can judge. We cannot even judge ourselves, for we can (and often do) fool ourselves.

God is not fooled.

We must and should discern and make prudent decisions. Those who hold pastoral office must make pastoral decisions. But only God can judge,

I do not even pass judgment on myself;
I am not conscious of anything against me,
but I do not thereby stand acquitted;
the one who judges me is the Lord.

Therefore, do not make any judgment
before the appointed time, until the Lord comes,
for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness
and will manifest the motives of our hearts…

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, be merciful to me – a sinner.