A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fidelity

There are some people who want the Church to change its message and teachings to reflect the message and teachings of the world.

The Church, on the other hand, especially under the Pontificate of Benedict XVI, is very clear about the necessity of fidelity to the truth that comes from Christ.

In today’s Gospel (John 12:44-50), our Lord himself speaks beautifully and powerfully of this truth and of his mission, which the Church is commanded to continue.

I came into the world as light,
so that everyone who believes in me
might not remain in darkness.

And if anyone hears my words
and does not observe them,
I do not condemn him,
for I did not come to condemn the world
but to save the world.

Whoever rejects me
and does not accept my words
has something to judge him:
the word that I spoke,
it will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own,
but the Father who sent me
commanded me what to say and speak.

And I know that his commandment is eternal life.
So what I say,
I say as the Father told me.

So also may you and I say and do.