A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, December 25, 2005

See what I see

To have seen what I have seen,
see what I see!

(Hamlet - Act III, Scene 1 - spoken by Ophelia)

I have seen much in this year now ending

I have seen things most sacred – innocent human life and the bond of matrimony – trodden into the dust by arrogant human selfishness.

I have seen hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children swept away or crushed by the still-greater powers of nature.

I have seen one of the greatest men of our time relentlessly weighed down by infirmity and then silenced.

I have seen fear and worry in families, pain and doubt in people of faith, and desperate emptiness in the faces of the old and the young.

But I have also seen something else.

*****

I have looked into the eyes of a child, of a boy newly born into the world.

The eyes are clear, bright, and warm.

They look out into the same terrible world that I have seen, but there is no fear in those eyes.

In those eyes, tiny and gentle, there is peace and strength reaching into infinity.

The eyes look at me: they are filled with love, forgiveness, and measureless grace.

*****

Look away for a moment from the trouble of the world.

Look into those eyes and see what I see.

A child is born in Bethlehem.

It is Christ the Lord.

Come, let us adore.