Well, they're not actually new
- they've been with the Lord for a while - but today Pope Benedict added five people to the ranks of officially recognized saints:
- Jozef Bilczewski (1860-1923), an archbishop in Ukraine who was a significant presence for Ukrainians during World War I and afterward;
- Gaetano Catanoso (1879-1963), Italian priest and founder of the Congregation of the Daughters of Saint Veronica, Missionaries of the Holy Face;
- Zygmunt Gorazdowski (1845-1920), a priest in Ukraine, founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Joseph;
- Alberto Hurtado Cruchaga, S.J. (1901-1952), a Chilean ex-lawyer who became a priest and would serve young people and the poor;
- Felice de Nicosia, O.F.M.Cap (1715-1787), an illiterate layman, who after numerous attempts became a Capuchin. He begged in the streets and also performed miracles.