A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, October 21, 2005

Confused

I don’t know about you, but I often feel confused.

My mind is so easily distracted. I feel pulled in many directions at once.

I want to be a good servant of God, but I fail so often.

I read about the saints and I want to be the way they were: focused completely and powerfully on God.

Among the greatest of these saints is Saint Paul the Apostle, and in today’s first reading (Romans 7:18-25a) this great Prince of the Apostles says this about himself:

For I do not do
the good I want,
but I do the evil
I do not want.


When we feel discouraged about our failures, we can take great comfort in that we are not alone, for we are all human – even the greatest among us.

That is not a license for moral apathy, but a message of encouragement: from the greatest of apostles to the greatest of sinners, we need not despair, for by the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ we can do better.