A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Monday, March 07, 2005

Discerning a Call to the Priesthood

"Being a priest gives you the opportunity to make a real difference in many people's lives, while serving God.

"Choosing to become a priest is not an easy or quick decision. Sensing that you may have a 'calling from God' usually doesn't happen in the form of a thunderbolt, but is more often a gradual realization - one that takes time, a great deal of personal reflection and prayer.

"Thinking seriously about the priesthood means:

  • "Putting aside the busy pace of daily life
  • "Taking the time to look inside yourself
  • "Thinking about your beliefs, hopes and goals

"Looking Inside Yourself - As you think about whether the priesthood is the right direction for you, questions you might ask yourself include:

  • "What makes me happiest in life?
  • "How can I make a difference in people's lives?
  • "How can I best serve God?
  • "Does my relationship with God sustain me and invigorate me?
  • "What is most important to me?
  • "Is my life as fulfilling as it could be?
  • "What does my "inner voice" tell me?
  • "When I think about being a priest, do I have a sense of excitement and challenge?

"Talking to Others - Men who are considering the priestly vocation often wish to keep their ideas and thoughts very confidential for a while, while others are comfortable sharing them with others. There's no one right or wrong way to proceed, but when you are ready, it can be very helpful to talk...."

From the Vocations website of
the Diocese of
Hamilton (Ontario, Canada)