A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Life-changing Limerick

"It was a young man who asked Jesus
the most fundamental question:
'What must I do to inherit eternal life?'
(Mark 10:17).

"Another way of putting it might be to ask
'How can I know that my life will make sense?
When I come to the end of my life,
will I be able to look back
and feel that it has meant something?'

"The answer was clear.
It is worth leaving everything to follow Jesus.
That is what makes sense of life....

"The priest today is a person whose task it is to try to speak that fundamental question, and to present Jesus who is the answer, in our world. Any priest know the peace and the hope that his ministry can bring to the bereaved, to those who are trapped in guilt, to the lonely, to those who are searching for meaning, to those who struggle for justice and truth.

"It is a hard life, a demanding life, but I, for one, have never regretted answering the call to be a priest.

".... Helping people to hear the call to priesthood and religious life is not just a matter for Vocations Directors and clergy. It is a matter for everyone who shares in the Christian task of making Jesus known in the world: ....to encourage and welcome the signs of a vocation and to support those who may hear the Lord's call."

Most Rev. Donal Murray
Bishop of Limerick, Ireland

(from the Diocesan Vocations website)