A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, February 17, 2013

We can get through this

This week, over four thousand people spent days trapped in a cruise ship reportedly flowing with excrement.

This week, over a billion Catholics -- and indeed the entire world -- was suddenly confronted with the historic uncertainty of a papal resignation.

Sometimes we live in days of peace and prosperity, sometimes we live in days of difficulty and uncertainty.

In today's readings, God speaks personally to each of us a clear and simple message:

We can get through this.

In the first reading (Dt 26:4-10), God has brought His people out of oppression and forty years of homelessness into a land "flowing with milk and honey."

In the second reading (Rom. 10:8-13), Saint Paul says "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

And in the Gospel (Lk 4:1-13), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Himself endures 40 days without food and then terrible temptations.

In all of these places, God is saying:

We can get through this.

With God, He and you and I can get through anything.

As today's Psalm (91: 1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15) says:

Because he clings to me,
I will deliver him;
I will set him on high
because he acknowledges my name.

He shall call upon me,
and I will answer him;
I will be with him in distress;
I will deliver him and glorify him.

(Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, be merciful to me -- a sinner.)