A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Choose well... and live

Today's readings lay a clear choice before us, beginning with Deuteronomy (30:15-20):

"Today I have set before you
life and prosperity, death and doom.


"If you obey the commandments of the LORD, your God,
which I enjoin on you today,
loving him, and walking in his ways,
and keeping his commandments, statutes and decrees,
you will live and grow numerous,
and the LORD, your God,
will bless you

in the land you are entering to occupy.

"If, however,
you turn away your hearts
and will not listen,
but are led astray and adore and serve other gods,
I tell you now that you will certainly perish;
you will not have a long life
on the land that you are crossing the Jordan to enter and occupy.


"I call heaven and earth today to witness against you:
I have set before you life and death,
the blessing and the curse.


"Choose life, then,
that you and your descendants may live,

by loving the LORD, your God,
heeding his voice, and holding fast to him.

For that will mean life for you..."

And the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke (9:22-25):

"If anyone wishes to come after Me,
he must deny himself
and take up his cross daily

and follow Me.

"For whoever wishes to save his life
will lose it,
but whoever loses his life
for My sake
will save it.

"What profit is there
for one to gain the whole world
yet lose or forfeit himself?"


(Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me - a sinner)