A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Monday, August 03, 2009

Do it yourself?

In today’s first reading (Numbers 11:4b-15), Moses is so wearied by his responsibilities that he wants to die.

I cannot carry all this people by myself,
for they are too heavy for me.
If this is the way you will deal with me,
then please do me the favor of killing me at once,
so that I need no longer face this distress.


In today’s Gospel (Matthew 14:13-21), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ tells his disciples to feed thousands of people by themselves: an obviously impossible task.

Moses, of course, would continue fulfilling his responsibilities and the disciples would be able to feed the multitude with 5 loaves and 2 fish – all by the power and grace of God.

In our own lives, we need to be prudent in the responsibilities we take upon ourselves, but we must also remember that when God gives us responsibilities, we are not alone: God is there with us and He is mighty.