A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Desire and fear

Why do we do the things we do in faith?

We have examples of two reasons in today’s readings: desire and fear.

Today’s Responsorial Psalm (84:3, 4, 5-6a, 8a, 11) beautifully expresses the desire we feel for the Lord and His presence.

How lovely is your dwelling place,
O Lord, mighty God!


My soul yearns and pines
for the courts of the LORD.

My heart and my flesh
cry out for the living God.


I myself feel that yearning, deep within me.

We need to follow up on that yearning more.

Today’s Gospel (Matthew 13:47-53) reminds us of the need to fear.

The Kingdom of heaven
is like a net thrown into the sea,
which collects fish of every kind.

When it is full they haul it ashore
and sit down to put what is good into buckets.

What is bad they throw away.

Thus it will be at the end of the age.

The angels will go out
and separate the wicked from the righteous
and throw them into the fiery furnace,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.

Do you understand all these things?

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, be merciful to me – a sinner.