A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, July 24, 2009

Aftermath

We today are affected by the decisions and actions of those who went before us.

Likewise, the lives of generations to come will be affected by the decisions and actions we make today.

When humanity strays from what is true and real, the effects are felt for generations.

Thus says the Lord in today’s first reading (Exodus 20:1-17):

For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God,
inflicting punishment for their fathers' wickedness
on the children of those who hate me,
down to the third and fourth generation...


But thanks be to God that, by the power of His grace, the effects of faithfulness and of living the truth are felt much, much longer.

...but bestowing mercy down
to the thousandth generation
on the children
of those who love me
and keep my commandments.


We are the beneficiaries of a thousand generations of holy men and women.

By the grace of God, may you and I build on that legacy of holiness and charity for the sake of the children among us and for the generations yet to be born.