A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why

Perhaps the most fundamental question of human grief is “Why?”

Why did this happen?

Why is this person I loved no longer here?

The answers do not always come quickly or easily.

In today’s Gospel (John 16:5-11), our Lord speaks to His disciples, whose hearts are filled with grief, for they know that He is being taken from them (although they little understand all of what that means).

Our Lord speaks to His disciples in their grief, telling them some of the reasons why it is better for Him to go.

But I tell you the truth,
it is better for you that I go.

For if I do not go,
the Advocate will not come to you.

But if I go,
I will send him to you.


When our Lord speaks of going, this involves more than one level of meaning.

On one level, He is speaking of His death: the first and most grief-filled parting.

But it is that death which restores the relationship of God and man and makes the gift of the Holy Spirit possible.

One another level, He is speaking of His Ascension: His final parting from the disciples.

But it is that parting, removing Christ’s physical presence, that opens the way for His powerful spiritual presence through the Holy Spirit.

No matter what griefs you and I may have, may we find enlightenment and comfort by the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit.