A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Betrayal and failure

Today’s Gospel (John 13:21-33, 36-38) begins with a prophecy of betrayal and ends with a prophecy of failure.

We know, of course, that the betrayal would lead to our Lord’s most important work, which would end in his salvific death and resurrection, and that despite his failure, Peter would be the head of Christ’s Church.

You and I can be discouraged by our failures and by what is done to us, yet as today’s first reading reminds us(Isaiah 49:1-6), our hope is unconquerable.

Though I thought I had toiled in vain,
and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,
Yet my reward is with the Lord,
my recompense is with my God.

By the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, may you and I be faithful and persevere.