A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, March 06, 2009

Perfection and mercy

Today’s readings remind us that God calls us to perfection.

The first reading (Ezekiel 18:21-28) reminds us that good deeds in the past do not allow us to commit evil afterwards.

In the Gospel (Matthew 5:20-26), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ calls us to a higher standard: righteousness not just in deed but in thought and word as well.

God calls us to perfection, and we must follow that call, yet God is also merciful and so as we strive for perfection by the grace of God we also call upon his mercy, echoing the words of today’s Psalm (130):

Out of the depths I call to you, LORD;
Lord, hear my cry!

May your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.

If you, LORD, mark our sins,
Lord, who can stand?

But with you is forgiveness
and so you are revered.

I wait with longing for the LORD,
my soul waits for his word.
My soul looks for the Lord
more than sentinels for daybreak.


More than sentinels for daybreak,
let Israel look for the LORD,
For with the LORD is kindness,
with him is full redemption,
And God will redeem Israel from all their sins.