A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Exemplary repentance

Today’s first reading gives us the great example of penitence shown by the people of ancient Nineveh in response to the preaching of Jonah (Jonah 3:1-10): an example our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Himself cites in today’s Gospel (Luke 11:29-32).

As those gifted by our Lord with so many graces, should not we be even more exemplary in our repentance than we are now?

(Despite the title of this blog, I cannot say that I am exemplary - far from it. God, have mercy.)

May the words of our heart be the words of today's Psalm (51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19):

Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me...

A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.