A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, November 08, 2008

For a rollercoaster world

The secular world has been very much like a rollercoaster in recent days.

The historic election of a new American President, a biracial man and the youngest since John Kennedy, has thrilled even those who disagree with him politically.

Meanwhile, the world faces the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression.

In this rollercoaster world, we can find no wiser words than those of Saint Paul in today’s first reading (Philippians 4:10-19):

I have learned,
in whatever situation I find myself,
to be self-sufficient.

I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances;
I know also how to live with abundance.

In every circumstance and in all things
I have learned the secret of being well fed
and of going hungry,
of living in abundance
and of being in need.

I have the strength for everything
through Him who empowers me.

In this rollercoaster world, the one who empowers us rightly, the only one in whom we can place our hopes, and the only one upon whom we can build our lives is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.