A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Unless it remains on the vine

Our Lord’s words in today’s Gospel (John 15:1-8) are beautiful.

Remain in me, as I remain in you.

Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own
unless it remains on the vine,
so neither can you
unless you remain in me.


Our Lord’s words are simple and deeply comforting.

I am the vine, you are the branches.

Whoever remains in me
and I in him
will bear much fruit,
because without me
you can do nothing.

Our Lord’s words may also be terrifying.

Anyone who does not remain in me
will be thrown out like a branch
and wither;
people will gather them
and throw them into a fire
and they will be burned.


(Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, be merciful to me – a sinner.)

Sad to say, we know of many people who have cut themselves off from the vine which is Christ and from his Church: famous and controversial figures (on the left and on the right) as well as people in our own lives – even people we love.

May God have mercy on us all and draw us all to himself in the name of Jesus.

Yet we should ask ourselves the question, how firmly are we rooted in the vine which is Christ?

Are we in some ways detached? Wanting a little distance in some things? Not quite complete in our commitment to Christ, His Truth and His Church?

If you remain in me
and my words remain in you,
ask for whatever you want
and it will be done for you.


Do we want what we want or do we want what God wants?

By this is my Father glorified,
that you bear much fruit
and become my disciples.

May we be true disciples.

May we cling fully and firmly to the Vine which is Christ.