A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The path of salvation

In today’s first reading (Acts 14:19-28), Saint Paul is apparently beaten to death by a crowd that had previously been praising him as if he were a god.

He goes on to live and to proclaim the Gospel to many people in many places.

"... and (he) exhorted them to persevere in the faith, saying,
“It is necessary for us to undergo many hardships
to enter the Kingdom of God."

In today’s Gospel (John 14:27-31a), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ speaks of “the ruler of this world” in an apparent reference to what motivates the men who are on their way to bring about his death. Our Lord, says, however, that

He has no power over me,
but the world must know that I love the Father
and that I do just as the Father has commanded me.


Sometimes we may be lucky and sometimes we may be blessed, but things will not always go well for us in this world, especially if we stand up for Christ.

But the path of salvation is one of perseverance, as Saint Paul reminds us, and of obedience and love, as our Lord shows us.

By the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, may you and I be faithful, may you and I be obedient, may you and I be loving, may you and I persevere – no matter what.