A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, April 20, 2008

It’s not you, it’s me

The pictures have been dramatic: thousands and tens of thousands of people, of all ages and from all walks of life, cheering, grinning, shouting, crying, laughing, and singing at the sight of a small, old man dressed in white.

This was not something he had sought. Years ago, when he was known as Cardinal Ratzinger, he had sought retirement to a quiet life with his books, his cats, his music, his brother, and his prayers.

But God said, It’s not you, it’s me – I have plans for you.

I am sure that as Pope Benedict sees all the smiles and hears all the cheering, he also hears the voice of the Lord saying, It’s not you, it’s me – they cheer you because you represent me.

Likewise, when the Holy Father thinks of what he might say to all of these people, he hears the voice of God saying, It’s not you, it’s me – it’s not your wisdom that comes from a lifetime of study, it’s my wisdom that comes from eternity.

Pope Benedict knows that what we say must be the truth that comes from God and what we do must also manifest that truth as well as make God’s love present and concrete.

So when we considering what we should say and what we should do, you and I need to listen for the voice of God saying, “It’s not you, it’s me.”

Christ himself sets the example for us in today’s Gospel (John 14:1-12) – an example that is unapproachable in its perfection but mandatory for all who call themselves Christian:

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?


Do you not believe that I am in the Father
and the Father is in me?

The words that I speak to you
I do not speak on my own.

The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ’s works took place physically in a relatively small area of the Middle East.

We are called to perform the works of God in the name of Jesus everywhere we are in the world.

Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
and will do greater ones than these,
because I am going to the Father.