A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Which of these two men is more like us?

(Jesus) also told this parable
to some

who trusted in themselves
that they were righteous
and despised others:

"Two men
went up into the temple

to pray,
one a Pharisee
and the other a tax collector.

The Pharisee stood
and prayed thus with himself,
`God, I thank thee
that I am not like other men,
extortioners,
unjust,
adulterers,
or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week,
I give tithes of all that I get.'

But the tax collector,
standing far off,
would not even
lift up his eyes to heaven,

but beat his breast, saying,
`God, be merciful to me a sinner!'

I tell you,
this man went down to his house justified
rather than the other;

for every one who exalts himself
will be humbled,
but he who humbles himself
will be exalted."


(today's Gospel - Luke 18:9-14)