A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"I really need a drink"

"I really need some cheesecake."

"I really need some loving."

So we think and so we say.

Invariably, however, these "needs" are really just desires and many times temptations to sin as well.

What we really need is the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

The Lord helps his people in this world: in today's Gospel (Matthew 15:29-37), our Lord feeds multitudes and cures the sick.

But even more wonderfully, perfectly, and unfailingly the Lord will fulfill all our needs - really and truly, free of all evils, in beautiful peace and overflowing happiness - when he calls us to himself, to his holy mountain and the kingdom of heaven, as we hear in today's first reading (Isaiah 25:6-10a):

On this mountain the LORD of hosts
will provide for all peoples
A feast of rich food and choice wines,
juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines.

On this mountain he will destroy
the veil that veils all peoples,
The web that is woven over all nations;
he will destroy death forever.

The Lord GOD will wipe away
the tears from all faces;
The reproach of his people he will remove
from the whole earth; for the LORD has spoken.

On that day it will be said:
"Behold our God,
to whom we looked to save us!
This is the LORD for whom we looked;
let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!"

And so we move forward with the mission the Lord gives us this life, walking away from temptations and toward the greater perfection to which Christ calls us, for he is with us, he cares for us, and he will give us what we really, truly need.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff
they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
for ever.