A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Monday, November 20, 2006

Ancient and new

As we draw to the end of the liturgical year, the daily readings turn to the book at the end of the Bible: the book of Revelation, the famous, complex vision of the end of time.

In today's first reading (Revelation 1:1-4; 2:1-5), we hear the first of the letters to the churches in Asia Minor (what is now Turkey): to the church in Ephesus. This takes on special interest this year, since Pope Benedict is about to visit Turkey and will be celebrating Mass at Ephesus a week from this Wednesday.

As for the message itself, the words written so long ago speak sharply to us today (certainly to me), calling us back to the full love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, ever fresh and ever new:

You have lost the love you had at first.

Realize how far you have fallen.

Repent, and do the works you did at first.


Come into my heart afresh, Lord Jesus, and fill me, that your love may flow from me to all those I meet.