A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, November 17, 2006

"With it" and "out of it"

Many people today, especially young people, desperately want to be seen as being "with it" - in sync with what is fashionable and "up-to-date."

In the end, they are disappointed, for the fashions of the moment inevitably collapse into the ash heap of history: forever "out of it."

Today's readings (2 John 4-9 and Luke 17:26-37) speak strongly to those who seek to live according to the fashions of this world.

Anyone who is so "progressive"
as not to remain in the teaching of the Christ
does not have God....

Whoever seeks to preserve his life
will lose it,
but whoever loses it
will save it.

May we root ourselves in the eternal truth of Christ (forever "with it"), not the flowing quicksand of passing philosophy and contemporary culture.

May we seek abundant life in eternal happiness as we walk faithfully with Christ in this world and not chase after the quickly-dying spark of earthly pleasure.

With all my heart I seek you;
let me not stray from your commands.

Within my heart I treasure your promise,
that I may not sin against you.