A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, July 07, 2006

Rushing

A priest at a college once preached a warning about "Rushing through Advent" - about disregarding the treasures of the Advent season by focusing too much and too quickly on the non-spiritual aspects of Christmas.

The very next day, he hopped on a plane to begin his Christmas vacation early.

In today's first reading (Amos 8:4-6, 9-12), people are in a hurry to bring religious celebrations to an end so that they can go on with their lives.

This is a personal challenge for me.

I know that I do not honor the Lord's Day as well as I should.

I know that when I pray (too seldom and too briefly), I am often distracted by thoughts of tasks to be performed or activities on my agenda.

Let us pray for one another.

Oremus pro invicem.

May the Lord give us the grace that we may not rush through the spiritual opportunities he gives us, but that we may rest in his Spirit and grow in his blessings.