A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I take no pleasure in your solemnities

The words of the prophet Amos in today's first reading (Amos 5:14-15, 21-24) seem to fall rather hard on those who follow liturgical calendars.

I hate, I spurn your feasts, says the LORD,
I take no pleasure in your solemnities;


Of course, the feasts and solemnities targeted by Amos were largely mandated by the Lord himself.

The problem is not the feasts and solemnities in themselves: it is the fact that they are being celebrated as "cover" by an unrepentent people.

We must repent with humility, live with justice, and worship with holiness.

Seek good and not evil,
that you may live;
Then truly will the LORD, the God of hosts,
be with you as you claim!


Hate evil and love good,
and let justice prevail at the gate;
Then it may be that the LORD, the God of hosts,
will have pity on the remnant of Joseph.