A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bloodless?

Much of modern society is squeamish about blood.

To be sure, in some senses, the modern age has been the bloodiest of all: consider the millions of people slaughtered in modern wars and the popularity of "slasher" movies and of television shows that wallow in Luminol.

But it is also a society that shies away from blood: television cameras rarely show the bodies of the slain, animal meat is packaged bloodlessly in clear plastic, and phlebotomists are feared by many.

We live in a culture that strives to be bloodless.

Yet the readings of this day - the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ - are overflowing with blood.

And this is supposed to be a good thing - indeed, a very good thing.

In dictionaries, the word "bloodless" has both literal and metaphorical meanings.

The literal meaning of "bloodless" is obvious, but the metaphorical meanings of "bloodless" are meaningful indeed: "lacking in spirit or vitality... lacking in human feeling."

Today's readings and today's celebration remind us that Christianity is not a bloodless faith: it is full of spirit, full of vitality, and full of feeling.

In our dichotomously bloodless culture, we sometimes try to water down these elements of our faith (and indeed of our humanity). Representations of the crucifixion thus become almost cartoon-like: bloodless in more ways than one.

By celebrating the most holy Body and the most precious Blood of Christ, we are celebrating that ultimate gift of God's spirit, God's vitality, and God's passion that has come to us in the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Today's readings (especially the first reading - Exodus 24:3-8 - and the Gospel - Mark 14:12-16, 22-26) also remind us of blood as a sign and instrument of commitment.

This is the blood of the covenant
that the LORD has made with you...

This is my blood of the covenant,
which will be shed for many.

And so we take solace and joy in Christ, in his covenant, in his passion, in his vitality, in his Spirit, in his Blood.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds, hide me.
Do not let me be separated from Thee .
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
At the hour of death, call me.
And bid me come unto Thee
That with Thy Saints I may praise Thee
through ages of ages.
Amen.

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Iesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te
in saecula saeculorum.
Amen