A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Say it

In today's generally post-Christian culture, it can sometimes feel awkward to put forward and stand up for authentic Christian teaching in all its details.

However, while we need to be diligent in making the Gospel as understandable as possible to the people around us, we do them no favors by compromising or watering down the truth, even when they say, "Who are you to say what is right and what is wrong, what is love and what is not, or what is the purpose of life itself?"

What we have to say is simple: it's not about me, it isn't about arbitrary answers or rules for their own sake - it is about reality in its completeness and life in its absolute fullness.

Our Lord, of course, says it much better in today's Gospel (John 12:44-50).

I did not speak on my own,
but the Father who sent me
commanded me what to say and speak.

And I know that his commandment is eternal life.


So what I say,
I say as the Father told me.