A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, May 07, 2006

"I am the good shepherd"

A good shepherd
lays down his life
for the sheep.

A hired man,
who is not a shepherd
and whose sheep
are not his own,
sees a wolf coming
and leaves the sheep
and runs away,
and the wolf catches
and scatters them.

This is because
he works for pay
and has no concern
for the sheep.


I am the good shepherd,
and I know mine
and mine know me,
just as the Father knows me
and I know the Father;
and I will lay down my life for the sheep.

I have other sheep
that do not belong to this fold.

These also I must lead,
and they will hear my voice,
and there will be one flock,
one shepherd.

This is why the Father loves me,
because I lay down my life
in order to take it up again.

No one takes it from me,
but I lay it down on my own.

I have power to lay it down,
and power to take it up again.

This command
I have received from my Father.
(Today's Gospel - John 10:11-18)