A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Wash one another’s feet

Our Lord’s words in tonight’s Gospel (John 13:1-15) are plain:

If I, therefore, the master and teacher,
have washed your feet,
you ought to wash one another’s feet.

I have given you a model to follow,
so that as I have done for you, you should also do.


We must wash each other’s feet.

We need to spend less time worrying about our own feelings or preferences – our autonomy or our self-pity -- and follow our master and teacher, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

We must serve the Lord with gladness and serve his children with humility.

In our acts of compassion and in our prolonging of patience, we must wash each other’s feet.