A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, April 06, 2006

He IS

Too often we can get bogged down in the nitty-gritty details of life or in the petty squabbles that characterize so much of our personal, social, political and even religious life.

In today’s Gospel (John 8:51-59), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ blows away our mundane concerns and concepts with two little words.

Amen, amen, I say to you,
before Abraham came to be, I AM.

I AM – the most sacred name of God.

"But," said Moses to God, "when I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' if they ask me, 'What is his name?' what am I to tell them?"

God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you."
(Exodus 3:13-14)

In that name, in those two little words, we get a glimpse of the eternal, infinite existence of God himself.

The horizons of our minds are blasted away and a deep yearning in our soul rises up: that primordial longing for the infinity which is God.

It is only a glimpse, but it means so much.

All that the unbelievers can do is throw stones, figuratively and literally – how laughable!

As we go through the day-to-day details of our lives, we do well always to remember the glimpses God gives us of himself: in our prayer, in our reflecting on his word, and in the Sacraments.

These glimpses help us from being spiritually trapped by those things that are petty or from being intimidated by the stone throwers around us.

We have a relationship with infinity and eternity itself, for we are children of God and followers of Christ, and no matter what happens, we can find security and comfort in his words.

Amen, amen, I say to you,
before Abraham came to be, I AM.