A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Free!

Today's Gospel (John 8:31-42) begins with these famous words:

If you remain in my word,
you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free.

This freedom ultimately is freedom from sin, as our Lord says:

Everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin.

We need to keep ourselves immersed in God's word and dive even deeper in his truth, so that we may not be pulled here and there by the conflicting, destructive impulses of today's culture or the whims of selfish pleasure.

If you remain in my word,
you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free.