A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Ignorant Saints

Today’s Gospel tells us of a great saint who was ignorant on a critical point.

In the Gospel (John 1:29-34), Saint John the Baptist, of whom the Lord himself said that no man born of woman was greater, confesses that he did not recognize Christ at first (even though that was the primary purpose of his entire ministry).

And I knew him not:
but that he should be made manifest to Israel,
therefore am I come baptizing with water.


Fortunately for John, the Holy Spirit comes through for him.

And John bare record, saying,
I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove,
and it abode upon him.
And I knew him not:
but he that sent me to baptize with water,
the same said unto me,
Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending,
and remaining on him,
the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.


Likewise, each of us may have suffer our own failures of knowledge and wisdom, sometimes even at critical times.

It is vital therefore for us humbly and unceasingly to seek the help of the Holy Spirit to teach us what we need to fulfill our own service and witness on behalf of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.