A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Saturday, November 19, 2005

If you knew you were going to die

What would you do,
if you only had six months to live?

In today’s first reading (1 Maccabees 6:1-13), a mighty king collapses into a puddle of regret and grief when he realizes he is going to die.

How would we react? How should we react?

After all, we believe in the gift of eternal life that comes to us in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ - that death is not the end.

Death, therefore, is not to be feared, but what of the life remaining to us?

The answer many give is that they would do something different from what they are doing now: sometimes they say they will do various special things for themselves, sometimes they say they will do various good things for others and for God.

The self-centered plan is obviously not the best way to prepare for God’s judgment.

But if our response to imminent death will be amending our lives, dedicating ourselves to helping others and drawing closer to God, why aren’t we doing that now?

Seriously, why aren’t we doing these good things now?

From time to time in my own life, I ask myself this question: what would I do if I only had six months to live?

Sometimes I know that I would make no change, for I know that I am living as the Lord wants me to live.

Sometimes I hang my head in shame and know that I must make a change – and that I should not wait.

What about you?

May almighty God have mercy on us,
forgive us our sins,
and bring us to everlasting life.