A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Monday, August 22, 2005

Word to the bishops

"Dear Brothers in the Episcopate,

"I bless the Lord who has given me the joy of meeting you here, on German soil, at the conclusion of this Twentieth World Youth Day. I think we could say that the hand of Providence has been visible during these days, and not only has it given encouragement to me, the Successor of Peter, but it has also offered a sign of hope to the Church in this country, and above all to you, her Pastors.

* * * * *

"We know that on the face of this Church there are unfortunately also wrinkles, shadows that obscure her splendour. These too we should keep before us, in a spirit of unfailing love, at this moment of celebration and thanksgiving.

* * * * *

"May the memory of these hope-filled days spent in Cologne sustain your ministry, our ministry."

from an address to German bishops yesterday