A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

An event for an elegant blogger

Pontifications is a truly elegant and intelligent blog written by a gentleman who has been working as an Anglican priest for 25 years.

His post last Sunday began thusly

"One month ago, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Greenville, South Carolina, I was received into full communion with the Catholic Church. As readers of Pontifications know, Fr Scott Newman is the pastor of St Mary’s and a good friend of our family.

"We arrived in Greenville the preceding Saturday afternoon. With some sadness Scott informed me that the Sunday 11:00 liturgy would not be the spectacular liturgy he was hoping to provide for the occasion. His organist, first trumpeter, and several members of his choir were on holiday. I assured him that none of that mattered, that I rejoiced that he was the priest who would be receiving and confirming me.

"St Mary’s is truly a beautiful Church. We sat in the second pew at the front. I sat at the end of the pew, with my daughter Taryn at my right. The church was full.

"And then the opening hymn began! The music filled the church. A thirty-member choir, brass, violins, timpani—I had been had! Even the congregation sung. Yes, Scott had told the truth. His organist and first trumpeter were out of town; but he had brought in splendid replacements...."