A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Commandments & Questions

In today’s Gospel (Mk. 12:28-34), our Lord and a scribe speak of the two greatest commandments.

"The first is this:
'Hear, O Israel!
The Lord our God
is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God
with all your heart,
with all your soul,
with all your mind,
and with all your strength.'

“The second is this:
'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
There is no other commandment greater than these."


So we should ask ourselves…

  • Do I love myself as God intended?
    How do I not?
  • Do I really love others as much?
    How do I fall short?
  • Do I really love God with all my strength?
    Couldn’t I give more?
  • Do I really love God with my entire mind?
    Do I have any reservations?
  • Do I really love God with my whole soul?
    Do I hold anything back?
  • Do I really love God with all my heart?
    What do I love that is not of God?
    Do I really give God – who loves me infinitely and who gave himself for me - all the love he deserves?

Sh'ma Yisrael
Adonai Elohaynu
Adonai Echad.