A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, June 24, 2005

At the end of days

For some, the end of the week can be a moment when we realize what little we accomplished and how unsatisfying the results of all our time and effort.

The prophet Isaiah has a moment like that in today’s first reading (Is. 49:1-6) – but only a moment.

Though I thought I had toiled in vain,
and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,

yet my reward is with the LORD,
my recompense is with my God.

For now the LORD has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,

that Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel gathered to him;

and I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD,
and my God is now my strength!

Is our time and effort centered on the Lord and his work?