A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Justice and mercy

"God is infinitely holy,
God is infinitely just and merciful,
and God calls each of us
to that same perfection.

"We, however,
as a world and as individuals,
too often choose other directions
and history has shown us the results,
the consequences
of misguided ideologies, selfishness, and hatred:
from a silently-born heartache
to the most horrific of calamities.

"The Dies Irae
is an ancient visualization
of ultimate catastrophe
and even there,
with the eyes of faith,
finds hope in God's merciful love."


Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla,
teste David cum Sybilla.
A day of wrath, that day --
The world will dissolve in ashes,
As David and the Sibyl testify.

Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus.
What dread there will be
When the judge shall come
To judge all things strictly.

Tuba mirum spargens sonum
per sepulchra regionum,
coget omnes ante thronum.
A trumpet, spreading a wondrous sound
Through the graves of all lands,
Will bring all before the throne.

Mors stupebit et natura,
cum resurget creatura,
judicanti responsura.
Death and Nature shall be astonished
When all creation rises again
To answer to the Judge.

Liber scriptus proferetur,
in quo totum continetur,
unde mundus judicetur.
The written book will be brought forth,
In which all things are contained,
From which the world shall be judged.

Judex ergo cum sedebit,
quidquid latet apparebit,
nil inultum remanebit.
When therefore the judge will take his seat
Whatever is hidden will reveal itself --
Nothing will remain unpunished.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus?
Quem patronum rogaturus,
cum vix justus sit securus?
What then shall I say, wretch that I am,
What advocate entreat to speak for me,
When even the righteous may hardly be secure?

Rex tremendae majestatis,
qui salvandos salvas gratis,
salva me, fons pietatis.
King of awful majesty.
Who freely savest the redeemed,
Save me, O fount of goodness.

Recordare Jesu pie,
quod sum causa tuae viae,
ne me perdas illa die.
Remember, O dear Jesus,
That I am the cause of Thy pilgrimage.
Do not forsake me on that day.

Quaerens me sedisti lassus,
redemisti crucem passus,
tantus labor non sit cassus.
Seeking me Thou didst sit down weary,
Didst redeem me, dying on the cross.
Let not such toil be in vain.

Juste judex ultionis,
donum fac remissionis
ante diem rationis.
Just judge of punishment,
Grant forgiveness
Before the day of reckoning.

Ingemisco tanquam reus,
culpa rubet vultus meus,
supplicanti parce, Deus.
I groan like a guilty man.
My face blushes from my sin;
Spare a supplicant, O God.

Qui Mariam absolvisti,
et latronem exaudisti,
mihi quoque spem dedisti.
Thou who didst absolve Mary (Magdalene)
And hearken to the thief,
To me also hast given hope.

Preces meae non sunt dignae,
sed tu, bonus, fac benigne,
ne perenni cremer igne.
My prayers are not worthy,
But Thou in Thy merciful goodness grant
That I burn not in everlasting fire.

Inter oves locum praeta,
et ab hoedis me sequestra,
statuens in parte dextra.
Place me among Thy sheep
And separate me from the goats,
Setting me at Thy right hand.

Confutatis maledictis,
flammis acribus addictis,
voca me cum benedictis.
When the accursed have been confounded
And given over to the bitter flames.
call me to be with the blessed.

Oro supplex et acclinis,
cor contritum quasi cinis,
gere curam mei finis.
I pray in supplication on my knees,
My heart contrite as the dust,
Take care of my end.

Lacrimosa dies illa,
qua resurget ex favilla
judicandus homo reus.
Mournful that day
When from the dust shall rise
Guilty man to be judged.

Huic ergo parce, Deus.
Pie Jesu Domine,
dona eis requiem.
Therefore, spare them O God.
Dear Lord Jesus
give them rest.

Amen.