A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Hope among the dust

In today’s first reading, the book of Job reaches an emotional climax: his suffering seems infinite and absolute, and instead of bringing comfort, his friends just add to his misery.

But it is at that very moment, when things seem to be at their worst, that Job, with great and unshakeable seriousness, reaffirms his faith in God.

Pity me, pity me, O you my friends,
for the hand of God has struck me!

Why do you hound me as though you were divine,
and insatiably prey upon me?

Oh, would that my words were written down!
Would that they were inscribed in a record:
That with an iron chisel and with lead
they were cut in the rock forever!

But as for me, I know that my Vindicator lives,
and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust;
Whom I myself shall see:
my own eyes, not another's, shall behold him,
And from my flesh I shall see God;

My inmost being is consumed with longing.

Despite the suffering that he seems to have received from the hand of God, Job knows that God will come through for him. He is not sure when or how, but he knows that he himself will see God come to his rescue.

Many translators over the millennia (and all Christians) have understood that what Job is referring to (although the original Hebrew is vague) is the Resurrection of the Body and our redemption in Christ. Nowhere has this been expressed more perfectly than in Handel’s Messiah:

I know that my Redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth;
and though worms destroy this body,
yet in my flesh shall I see God.

(Job 19:25-26)

For now is Christ risen from the dead,
the first-fruits of them that sleep.

(1 Cor. 15:20)

Indeed, may these words be carved in stone in our minds and in our hearts! That no matter what may happen to us, no matter what suffering or isolation we may endure, if by God’s grace we persevere, our Redeemer, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, will come and raise us up and with our own eyes we shall see God.

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!