A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Ubi est?

As wonderful as Jerome’s work was, scholarly adjustments have had to be made to the Vulgate over the centuries.

The latest edition can be found on the Vatican web site
http://www.vatican.va/archive/bible/nova_vulgata/documents/nova-vulgata_index_lt.html

The Bible Gateway has an edition that may be slightly different, with a more hi-tech interface.
http://bible.gospelcom.net/languages/index.php?language=latin&version=VULGATE

A much older, incomplete edition is available at
http://vulsearch.sourceforge.net/html/index.html


I myself am not a scholar, but every translation has its limitations and also its own insights. One quick example may be seen in one of the most familiar verses of Scripture:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

The older Vulgate says
Dominus regit me, et nihil mihi deerit
The Lord rules me, and nothing to me will be lacking.

The newest Vulgate says
Dominus pascit me, et nihil mihi deerit
The Lord pastures me, and nothing to me will be lacking.

The first phrase in both versions is more active than the familiar English version (and generally more faithful to the ancient text).

The older Vulgate would seem to resonate better with people who have a more benevolent concept of "being ruled" (which is not generally the case today). It might also be more appropriate for city dwellers who have no experience of shepherding.

The newer Vulgate restores the more pastoral flavor and thanks to modern education and communication nearly everyone can summon a wonderful image of a shepherd (even though few of us have ever met one).

Again, just some ideas -- I am not a scholar and "have no mind for strife except with the Enemy and his servants."