A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Two men went up to the temple to pray

"one was a Pharisee
and the other was a tax collector.
The Pharisee took up his position
and spoke this prayer to himself,
'O God, I thank you
that I am not like the rest of humanity
greedy, dishonest, adulterous
or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week,
and I pay tithes on my whole income.'


"But the tax collector stood off at a distance
and would not even raise his eyes to heaven
but beat his breast and prayed,
'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.'"


(Luke 18:10-13 - from today's Gospel and a previous post on Toward Contemplation)