A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The grace of final perseverance

For this we must pray.

For this - also by God’s grace – we must strive.

For this, in today's second reading (2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18), Saint Paul gives thanks.

I am already being poured out like a libation,
and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have competed well;
I have finished the race;
I have kept the faith.

From now on
the crown of righteousness awaits me,
which the Lord, the just judge,
will award to me on that day,
and not only to me,
but to all
who have longed for his appearance.

The Lord stood by me
and gave me strength,
so that through me
the proclamation might be completed
and all the Gentiles might hear it.

And I was rescued from the lion’s mouth.

The Lord will rescue me
from every evil threat
and will bring me safe
to his heavenly Kingdom.

To him be glory
forever and ever.
Amen.

For this we must pray.

For this – by God’s grace – we must strive.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, be merciful to me – a sinner.