A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

God knows

We like to fool ourselves.

We like to analyze ourselves and rationalize all sorts of wrong behavior – even evil.

God knows.

The scribes and the Pharisees were intelligent and were educated in the law of God, but they rationalized and drew the condemnation of our Lord Himself in today’s Gospel (Matthew 23:23-28) and elsewhere.

God knows.

Today’s Responsorial Psalm (139:1-3, 4-6) reminds us.

O LORD, you have probed me and you know me;
you know when I sit and when I stand;
you understand my thoughts from afar.

My journeys and my rest you scrutinize,
with all my ways you are familiar.

Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know the whole of it.

Behind me and before, you hem me in
and rest your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
too lofty for me to attain.

May we let ourselves be challenged and comforted by God’s knowledge of all things and God’s knowledge of us.