A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Forgiving disrespect

Of all of the offenses committed nowadays, disrespect often seems to be the most hated, even while it seems to be committed more and more all the time.

Disrespect also can be very hard to truly forgive.

The offense of disrespect is good to keep in mind when considering today’s Gospel (Matthew 18:21-19:1).

For example, Lord, if my brother disrespects me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?

Jesus answered,
"I say to you, not seven times
but seventy-seven times."



The offense of respect also helps us understand what our Lord says about the king and the unforgiving servant.

As human beings, we are owed a certain amount of respect.

God, the Creator of all things, who loves us from Eternity, is owed infinitely more respect.

That is what makes our sin against God infinitely worse.

That is what also makes God’s forgiveness infinitely more wonderful.

That is why we must forgive each other, even when we feel disrespected.

We must forgive... or else we risk entering Eternity unforgiven.

So will my heavenly Father do to you,
unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart.



Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, be merciful to me - a sinner.